Friday, July 4, 2008

its the fourth of july


Happy Independence Day America. I hope your day is filled with watermelon and fireworks.
Just because sometimes it feels good to write stuff like this and get it out of your system, I have to say that I don't enjoy this holiday very much.
A few weeks before my father passed away he gave me some of the greatest advice I think I've ever - and will ever- receive. He said to not have regrets. That when you're faced with a decision, big or small, and follow your instincts and do the best you can - then you cannot look back later and regret that decision. You did the best you could and it is what it is, you have to trust yourself.
A few years ago on the fourth of July I made a decision against what my instincts told me to do. I should have been somewhere. And I decided not to go and I don't remember why - I remember thinking that I should go... but I didn't. Every fourth of July I will be haunted by that and I will have that regret and I will think about how different that day could have been.
For that I look forward to the fifth of July.
Photo titled 'Fireworks Envy' by bikeracer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was actually searching google for a bird cage use and stumbled upon your site. I've been thinking about regret so much lately and thought it was ironic that I found your site and read that post. Your grandfather had good advice. I also want to teach my kids to make the best decisions they can so they may live without regret.
Best wishes and hope your July 5th will be a better day. :)

Anonymous said...

Hindsight is 20/20 and you did do the best you could
Love Jill