Wednesday, July 30, 2008

a little book review

So I just finished Pride and Prejudice. Swoon.
It's been a long time since I've gotten so excited about a book - I can't recommend it enough. Just so happens that a reader emailed today and asked if I had any book recommendations (or knew of any blogs about books-anyone?)

So here is my list of favorites... I realize the covers don't really matter - but lets face it, we're visual people, we need to see these things.
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen. I still can't believe she was 21 when she wrote this. Seriously fabulous classic romance - the language can be hard to read, but its amazing how many little subtleties cross over from time, culture etc.
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. Really great book set in the 1960s in the south. Its about a young girl who is taken in by these three wonderful sisters - who happen to raise bees. Its a very enjoyable read ( I think there's a movie coming out this fall).
Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland. This was a really interesting book. Its the story of a painting. The first chapter starts with the current owner, the story of how the obtained the painting etc. Then the next chapter is the previous owner, and the next the owner before that- going back hundreds of years and through every type of situation you can imagine.
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Ooo in my list of favorites this might be the favorite. This is a love story about a man who involuntarily travels to different times in his own life and how the woman he loves comes in and out of his life. I had to go back many times and re-read parts, it skips around in time but that makes it so much more interesting. Just a beautiful story (and I think there's a movie of this one on the way as well.)
Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne. This is kind of random - but when I was young this was one of my favorite books, I read it sooo many times and I still like to think of it as one of my favorites. Fabulous adventure story - wonderful for the imagination. Oh, and there's also a movie of this one coming out. It looks incredibly awful and has (in my opinion) the worst actor ever in it - so I do not recommend that. By any means.
Emma by Jane Austen. I just read this a few months ago. A few chapters in I realized that the movie Clueless had been created as a modern version of this book (so that kind of gives you a story line) It was really fun to read - you fall completely in love with Emma and all of her intentions.
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. I read this right before the movie came out - and the movie did a great job, but it left out like half of the story. Another wonderful love story, and fascinating to learn all about this secret world of geisha.
The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice. If you're looking for a nothing-but-fun book, I recommend this. Think Paris Hilton and her friends in the 1950s in London - I was so disappointed when I finished this one, I wanted there to be twelve more books about this crazy social scene of fabulous parties etc

Up next...The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Its come very highly recommended to me - I'll let you know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey its Brittany! I sent you that email before I saw your posts about the books. I wanted to read The Glass Castle, The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets, and Memoirs of A Geisha. You know I have been wanting to start a blog? Well I think you just have inspired me... :)

Lisanne said...

The Glass Castle is so good!