Sunday, September 21, 2008

lisa wharton

Ok, this was - by far - my favorite artist from the Plaza Art Fair this year.


It was hard to pull myself away from Lisa Wharton's booth. At home I jumped on her website (which is really well designed) and looked through all of her past collections, custom illustrations and checked out her blog. Random note: Lisa has lived in three places: Iowa, Colorado and Kansas City - just like me.

I'd really like to purchase my first real art from Lisa (I'm going to go ahead and say my pieces from Urban Outfitters, West Elm and the occasional museum poster don't really count as art). The problem is deciding which are my favorites. I'm equally captivated by these two collections...

The houses with tree roots are wonderful - and hit home with me in a lot of different ways.


And - what a surprise - the birds. The little sayings are really fun - but my favorite is a piece I don't see on the website. It has a beautiful vintage-wallpaperish pattern background behind a bird and some clouds. Its also done in blues and greens.

Love love love. Her work is silkscreen on wood which add some neat dimensionality. You can also buy prints of Lisa's work here.

All images from Wharton's website.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR INCLUDING ME ON YOUR BLOG. I loved all the great feedback i got from the people of KC, and this is a big honor. (thanks again)