Sunday, September 21, 2008

the plaza art fair


This weekend was an event I've been looking forward to for months. The annual Plaza Art Fair in Kansas City. From the website:

"The Plaza Art Fair is consistently ranked among the nation's top 5 art festivals. In a highly competitive jury process, about 1,500 artists submit their best in hopes of becoming an exhibitor in the nationally recognized program.
Throughout the years, the Plaza Art Fair has become one of Kansas City's most popular attractions and autumn traditions. The three-day event annually attracts an estimated 300,000 art enthusiasts, which features 230 artists from 36 states. The celebration of the arts extends 9-blocks into the streets of the Plaza, and showcases the finest works in ceramics, digital art, fiber, glass, graphics and printmaking, jewelry, metal, mixed media, painting, pastels, photography, sculpture and wood."
I have one complaint about the art show (actually I cant stand all of the dogs - make it two). The plaza streets are closed to traffic and intermixed with the artist's booths are lots of food and drink stands. In previous years I thought these stayed open even after the artists closed down for the night. Thus bringing along kind of a street beer garden feel. Well this year all of the food/drink stuff closed at 9:30pm! Maybe they had problems or something - but I'm not one to pass up an evening of standing outside in some fabulous weather with some sangria in hand chatting with fellow kansas citians - so I was a little bummed.
Thought I'd share some of my favorite artists...

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I had the opportunity to visit Kansas City twice in recent years, and I feel a little in love. The Plaza and the homes on and around Ward Parkway (wait? Is that the right street?) were incredible.

The Plaza plus an art fair? That sounds quite perfect.