I found this dress at Re-Runs warehouse in KC. It was in the 50's room (it's divided by decades) and I fell in love with the simplicity. It needed a few repairs and had some stains. It also didn't have any tags and totally seemed like it could've been made by some fabulous chica for herself..
I wasn't worried about the sewing repairs - but I wasn't sure how to fix the stains. I wondered about dyeing it, but I'd never tried that before. I immediately thought of the vintage expert Jessica from What I Wore and emailed her for advice. With her blessing, I bought my first box of Rit dye.
The process was interesting, especially in a little loft - I was worried about ruining our counters/sink/floors forever. I swore the fabric was cotton, and Jessica mentioned that the fabric might take but the embroidering may not. The box recommended that the fabric be in the dye bath for 30 minutes, I did more like 45 (people have since told me they leave garments in for days!) But I could tell that the fabric wasn't taking much - yet the embroidering was soaking it up!
After 45 minutes I took the dress out and rinsed it, washed it and hung it up to dry. The great thing is that even though the fabric didn't take very well, it did disguise the stains! Voila...