Thursday, October 1, 2009

a needle pulling thread


One of my New Year's resolutions was to pull out the inherited sewing machine and learn how to make something other than pillows. So a few weekends ago I grabbed a pattern and a few yards of fabric and settled down for a loooong Sunday afternoon. I'll admit I did a lot of googling for terms I didn't know, but I picked a pretty basic pattern that wasn't too hard to follow. I also tried to photograph the process to share here but was quickly distracted. There's basically a picture of the pattern... and the finished product.
.
This skirt was my first attempt. I've actually made another one since, but it was harder fabric to work with and I'm not as happy with it. Also, it looks like its made from a 1976 tablecloth.
.
The long sweater (wooo cardigan) helps to hide some of my sewing sins, but unfortunately makes the pockets (yes! I made pockets!) kind of unusable. Overall I'm happy with it, its not perfect in anywayshapeorform... but it's fun to create something!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think it looks awesome! practice makes perfect so keep it up! :)

Elizabeth Marie said...

Awesome job lady! It looks great! And yay for pockets too!

I totally want to see your glasses options!! Emailing you now!

Gabby said...

I'm impressed and inspired!

Anonymous said...

good job!! you've just motivated me to work on learning how to knit!

Rhianne said...

I think I included sewing in one of my lists too. I love the fabric you used, it looks great!!

Red Boots said...

I'm impressed! Skirts are way hard to make! I made a cushion cover a few months ago - that was as good as my skills got, then I broke the sewing machine, and haven't got round to fixing it. Must. Fix. It. Must. Make. Pretty. Skirts. xx

debra@dustjacket said...

Oh heck, wish I could do that. The finished product looks so chic and stylish, love it!
xoxo

The Curious Cat said...

Well done! Braver than me - I still haven't quite got the hang of my machine...but soon, soon! xxx

emmy-ray said...

Kudos. I've only made curtains, and screwed up a few lovely vintage pieces with bad alterations.

Paulina said...

oooo how lovely!!! I was JUST talking to my good girlfriend about how I wanted to buy a sewing machine so that I could make anthropologie style aprons!! You may have pushed me over the edge, bc this skirt is just lovely!!!! You did a great job!!!

VanessasRunway said...

wow! Great job! You just made me realize I'm way behind on my resolutions! Well I have one down - guess that's better than none right?! :)

drollgirl said...

well done!!! i have been telling myself to drag out that sewing machine and at least try to make some pillows! a skirt would be even better!

last time i "altered" about 5 tops and i stupidly ruined them all. i am rusty, at best, but that isn't going to change until i get my ass in gear and go to it.

hope you have a great weekend!!!

Aline said...

I think that you totally did a good job!

I would love to be able to sew:)

Sara said...

I don't find anything wrong with the skirt! It's gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Alissa, it's DARLING! {and I am so impressed you made pockets!!}

Hope to see more of your sewing projects in the future! Have a lovely weekend!

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

Nice job! Really love this pattern! I also need to re-learn my sewing techniques!

Mrs. N said...

It looks smashing, friend, smashing! :)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Amazing! First attempt? Wow. We have something for you at BonBon btw. : )

Jessie said...

Hooray, you crafty chica, you!

Anonymous said...

Excellent job - I would love to sew up some clothes for me and Zoe - I might have to get some patterns :)

Courtney said...

Nice work crafty lady! I'm impressed that was your first attempt sewing a skirt. I keep thinking I need to move my sewing skills past only home-related items!