Sunday, November 30, 2008

another poem

Two more poems. These are from Meister Eckhart (1260-1328).
.
.
It is a lie - any talk of God that does not comfort you.
.
.
Having lunch in a field one day,
I troubled an ant with some questions.
I asked of him humbly,
.
"Have you ever been to Paris?"
And he replied, "No, but I wouldn't mind going."
And then asked me if I had ever been to a famous ant city.
And I regretted that I hadn't, and was quick to add,
"I wouldn't mind, too!"
.
This led to a conclusion: there is life that we do not know of.
How aware are we of all consciousness
in this universe?
.
What percent of space is this earth in the infinite realm?
What percent of time is one second
in eternity?
.
Less than that is our knowledge of God
.
How then can we ever argue about Him?

No comments: