Monday, May 3, 2010

this old casa : the closet

.
Buying an old old home, we were completely prepared for the lack of closets. When we originally toured our house, the lack of a master closet was a concern until we stepped into a small room off of the bedroom and saw potential. Making this space into a closet became one of our top priorities for move-in projects (until it's complete our wardrobes are on the floor in an extra bedroom!)

The room is somewhat 'L' shaped with a few elements that dictate where we'll be able to create storage. Namely two windows, a radiator, a column and two doors. Its similar to the photo above in the white painted wood floors and tall ceilings - both fabulous attributes!

We researched a few different systems and have decided to go with your standard white metal Closetmaid product from Home Depot. Its projects like these that make me so frustrated we do not have an IKEA. The walls we're working with are a variety of different construction and I would love to utilize their Stolmen system that is entirely supported from the floor and ceiling (meaning there's no need to carve into 100+ year old plaster walls!) Unfortunately the nearest one is 8 hours away... So we began installing the system this weekend and its been interesting to say the least. As our first 'home improvement' project, we're just getting the hang of using some of these tools. We may or may not have made six trips to Home Depot in the last two days. When its all said and done I'll post photos - in the meantime any tips? Whether on closet installations or keeping your sanity as you learn how to be a handy-couple?

12 comments:

Felicia said...

Order it online! And yeah, before we had an Ikea I just did not own any furniture or storage solutions! HA!

kckimchi said...

I'd look into ordering your IKEA items online/by phone (all Westside Local's dining chairs are from there & were delivered to us here in KC) or check out: http://www.expeditekc.com/ a delivery service. My friend has used & was pleased.

Meghan said...

I am so excited to see the final product. I love white floors/walls!

Beth Grace said...

I left you something nice on my blog. I hope you are doing well today!

Always,
Ellie Grace

Anna said...

i am so jealous, i want to do this in our new house.

kelly ann said...

oh man, best of luck! i hope it all works out... maybe try ordering from ikea by phone?

Kim said...

It's expensive to ship IKEA...like $300. Boooo, hisss. You should just make a trip up to the one in Minnesota. That's what Hubs and I always do. Rent a van, load the sucker up an bring it all home in one weekend. Short and sweet!

Pesky Cat Designs said...

Best of luck with all your moving in! Yes, shipping from Ikea is super expensive. I once ordered a work desk and paid almost the same price of the item in shipping. But I am sure whatever you find it will look amazing!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I wonder if it would be worth it to make a drive if you could find the time? Ikea closet solutions are amazing!

Christina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christina said...

I'm feeling the pain of not having an IKEA here, and the fact that most of the items don't ship here. It's keeping me from completing my home office.

banksy canvas said...

What a brilliant post, thanks a lot for sharing this with us!